New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has been asked by the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs to ensure completion of Delhi smart city projects ahead of time so as to lead by example in the smart city making across the country.
The NDMC’s smart city projects will be completed before the 2020 deadline with most of the work getting into implementation mode by this October, the civic body’s chairman Naresh Kumar has said.
He gave this assurance during a meeting convened on July 15, 2017, by Housing and Urban Affairs Secretary Durga Shanker Mishra to review the implementation of the New Delhi Municipal Council’s (NDMC) Smart City Plan.
Smart City Projects To Begin in October 2017
The execution of the Rs 1,800-crore Smart City Project plan has to happen in phases. The implementation on a range of major impactful projects will begin in October 2017, for which tendering is in the process. This will include:
- Setting up of a Unified Command and Control Centre,
- Smart water and power grids,
- Multi-level parking at Khan Market,
- Sensor based smart parking,
- Public bike sharing
- Converting an additional 333 classrooms into smart classes,
- Sewage Treatment Plants,
- Smart public hygiene centers etc.
- Smart redesign of 13 roads totaling 31 kms including seven roads leading to Connaught Place ( proposed to begin much earlier).
Sources said that the timeline was finalized at a recent meeting chaired by urban development secretary Durga Shanker Mishra and attended by NDMC chairman Naresh Kumar. NDMC has sought transfer of ‘Central Vista’ to the council for smart redesign and management. The UD ministry would consider the proposal. At present, CPWD manages it.
Smart City Delhi Project plan implementation for March 2018 includes:
- India Investment Centre at Yashwant Place,
- Shivaji Terminal Transport Hub,
- World Class Skill Centre at Moti Bagh,
- Incubation Centre, Paryatan Bhawan etc.
Timelines for the same have been fixed at a two-hour review of the implementation of NDMC’s Smart City Plan taken by Durga Shanker Mishra, Secretary (Housing & Urban Affairs) on July 16th, 2017. Naresh Kumar, Chairman, NDMC and senior officials of the ministry and the Council attended the review.
Delhi Smart City Project Implementation Details:
Presenting the details of projects implemented so far, Naresh Kumar, Chairman of NDMC asserted that – “NDMC has made a quiet smart beginning with smart solutions initiatives already yielding positive results.
Student enrollment and OPD registration have shown good improvement further to converting 444 classrooms so far into smart ones and online registration in hospitals run by the Council. Mobile app Smart City 311 is finding wider traction with citizens availing various services online”.
More services like bus schedules services at all bus stops, information related to parking lots and availability of slots therein etc. has also been proposed to be added in APP 311.
The Council has also been directed to ensure that all residents of NDMC are brought on this platform besides promoting the use of this APP 311 among the large floating population.
Voicing concern over sub-optimal utilization of multi-level car parking at Sarojini Nagar, Durga Shanker Mishra asked the Council to come out with an enforcement plan for its full utilization at the earliest.
NDMC has also been asked to pursue pedestrianization of Connaught Place and Khan Market with appropriate action plans.
Smart City Project Implimentations Under Consideration:
- Installation of Solar Panels on roof tops of central govt. office buildings by NDMC, for free or on nominal charges. where NDMC has already commissioned 3.30 MW of solar power by installing solar panels on roof tops of buildings.
- Converting major parks into smart ones since the same could be done with minimal investments for better feel and experience.
- Mounting a special communication outreach plan for wider dissemination of information about the benefits of these initiatives among the people for informed participation.